Pages

Friday, March 7, 2014

Ode To The Veterinary Student's Dog

I will try my best to get through this post.  I had started writing about this topic a while ago so please bare with me if the present and past tense get confusing.  I have to admit it wasn't the next thing I had planned to share, nor did I ever want it to be a somber topic.  But tonight it is...

I have heard it said "don't buy a rental car".  One may think the same about a veterinary student's dog.  Every veterinary student wants to get their "hands-on" experience, and what better way to practice your new skills than with your own pet?  I have to admit that the pets receive great service, whether they needed it or not.  I can tell most clients about my own experience with a treatment or procedure, because I wouldn't recommend anything that I wouldn't do on my own animals.

Begging for food at my
veterinary school graduation
My dog Lucy is getting older and showing her age like most dogs eventually do.  I can't help but reflect on our memories together.  She became a member of my family the moment I got her as a puppy.  At the time, my home was very small and not adequate for a large dog.  But as a veterinary student that learns by visual means, I wanted a visual aid at home that could help me through.  Lucy is an American Bulldog, and boy, was she a great example with her over-sized anatomy.  In school she modeled more like a horse than a dog, and was often referred to as a Simmental because of her white and red markings (or perhaps her manure sized loads).  From the very start, I worked on training her to obey and also to do fun tricks (some unique ones are shake with both paws, speak and whisper, and hold a treat on her nose).  As a puppy, we went to an obedience class.  After a few weeks on leash, we spent one day off leash working on her recall.  The busy pet store had many distractions but that didn't seem to bother her.  With Lucy on one end and I on the other, I was doubtful she would make it past the treats, toys, and other people that made the gauntlet between us.  When I said "come", she was so food-driven that she blew past everyone, T-boned another dog, and was at my side in seconds.  My doubt was erased and food became her motivator.

She is horrible around other animals, cats better learn to fend for themselves.  Which made her meeting with a skunk 4 years ago very interesting.  She didn't back down and her white fur was soaked and dripping with yellow liquid.  You can imagine the smell!  For those of you who may only catch a whiff along the road occasionally let me educate you.  The smell of a skunk up close is distinctly different, it affects your entire body system.  All your senses are on overload.  Your eyes water, your mouth foams, and your stomach turns.  When Lucy was hit, I was 14 weeks pregnant and had morning sickness.  No matter how well you clean them up, or what product you use, they will start to smell again if their hair ever gets wet.  She stunk like skunk for at least 6 month after that episode.

Lucy adjusted very well to every circumstance.  Sometimes there was 12-14 hours before I could get back to the house during school to let her out.  She loved to play, yet would never beg for attention when I was busy studying.  She made her home out of my bed during the day, but knew to stay off when I was around.  She learned to be leery of strangers and makes a great guard dog, even though we haven't had to test her ability.  I would always tell new people, "she hasn't bitten anyone, yet."  She is AMAZING with my small children.  My kids can crawl all over her, pull her tail and ears, hit her hard, fall on her, and even "ride her" and she just loves every minute.  The Girl who is just learning to talk knows "oo-c-ee".

Every veterinary student can tell you about some "experiment" they have tried on their
own animals.  We tend to attract the troubled cases, or maybe we just fall in love with them.  Between the allergies, urinary incontinence, broken teeth, rattlesnake bite,  severed cephalic vein, and torn cruciate, I have "practiced" a few things.  But Lucy's last problem I couldn't fix.  I have all the books, knowledge, and medicine to save animals, but tonight she couldn't be saved.  The hardest, but sometime the best. service we can provide is ending the suffering.  I told you it would be a somber topic, but my joy is knowing that I did my very best for her (Lucy) and she did the same for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment