Pages

Saturday, March 1, 2014

Hands Free

My work truck was recently upgraded to the newest model.  I spend a lot of time traveling to very remote, non-accessible areas of the country and a dependable vehicle is a must.  Apparently modern upgrades do not come simple.  There are so many gadgets, buttons, and accessories that come "included".  The accessories are there to help you drive "hands free" but have the most modern conveniences in the vehicle with you.  Every new vehicle I have driven (which is 2) includes 6 months trial period of satellite radio.  For about 6 months I enjoy the luxury of more than just the 2 country radio stations that I normally receive.  There are over 150 music and talk radio shows to choose from.  I usually spend my time on the Comedy, Christian, or Country stations.
Paved Road!!!
I do not see that often when driving, usually it is gravel.  
Other features included are designed to make answering or making phone call safe.  This would be excellent if I had service everywhere I travel.  My truck will link to my cell phone via Bluetooth.  This was a new concept to me, talking to myself while driving and actually having someone listen or answer back.  I occasionally yell at my truck when the commands are not followed.  "I SAID CALL DUSTIN'S MOBILE".  I am sure other vehicles passing me have a great laugh at the expense of some idiot (me) talking while driving.  My children love to scream at the pickup while I am talking to someone.  Leaving messages for others is interesting as I try to talk with The Boy yelling "Where are you?  Are you talking to me?  Why can't I see you?  Come inside."

 There is one feature that is very nice about the cell phone hands free option.  It will automatically connect to my phone when the vehicle is on and the phone is in close proximity.  I have started my vehicle a couple time just to FIND my phone.  When I see the "connection complete" signal, I know the phone must be on me or in my stuff, somewhere.  I did find out the hard way, that you can't answer your phone if it rings and you are not in the vehicle.  I left my truck running while going to pick up my children when a call came.  I had the phone, which rang like normal, but since I wasn't in the vehicle to hear or speak into the microphone, the call didn't work.  Another mishap was when I started my truck and the "connection complete" signal came on, but I still couldn't find my phone.  I searched all over and eventually found the phone.  It wasn't in the vehicle with me, but instead in the building but close to the corner where my pickup was parked.  I am sure it would have been a sight watching my truck going back and forth as I tried to find the distance where I lost the "connection".
Wouldn't it be nice if other things in life were hands free.  I could really see a value in utilizing this at work.  For instance, hands free toe nail trims would let me keep my fingers safe from biting Chihuahuas.  Also hands free anal gland expressions on dogs would be a lot more pleasant.  (Does that sound too weird? OK moving on)  The truck could be hands free in separating my fighting children.  My minimum request would be an option to count how many cattle guards I have passed while getting to my new country job.
It is great knowing that we have a hands free option when talking to God.  We don't have to wait for the "connection" signal and there isn't a required distance we must get to before he will connect to where we are, he's always there and listening.

No comments:

Post a Comment