Pages

Sunday, February 23, 2014

Country Living

I love living in the country!  The quiet nature and clear sky are a privilege that many in this country do not get to enjoy.  Don't even get me started on the sun rises and sun sets, they are INCREDIBLE!  Many "city folk" think the country has green grass and they give it a try.  County-western songs have told the story of the small town girl/guy that left to make a fortune only to be unhappy and eventually came back home.  They paint a very pleasant and wonderful story about country living.  My small community has had an influx of "city folk".  They come from California, Colorado, or the east coast searching for the less hectic life.  I love meeting new people and finding out where they come from.  But my most pressing questions is:  Why did you decide to move HERE?".  I love it and I wish everyone had the same feeling that I do about living in the country.  But with the pleasure of simple quiet living, there is also some drawbacks that you don't find in a metropolis (but I like it that way).
Enjoying our country living with sledding.
(A great use of the calving sled)
First is running water.  No, we are not a third world country without any modern plumbing.  We do not dip water out of the local creek nor use an out-house (that is a building with a hole in the ground out side for your....um.....business).  Some are lucky to have a well where they can pump the water directly out of the ground, but that requires a long pipe to reach that far.  Around here, some areas are so rocky that drilling down would be a nightmare.  Also the water level may but up to 2000 feet down.  The best thing for most people is to have a cistern.  This is a holding tank in the ground that you can fill with water that you haul from the watering spot (usually in town) with your truck or trailer.  I am lucky to have my father around, because he fills our tank weekly and I never have to worry about running out of water in the cistern.  He never makes a trip to town without loading up the tank to fill our cistern, there cistern, the neighbor's cistern, or the livestock water tank.  I learned at a young age to conserve water when ever possible.

Horses waiting by the water tank.
Second, Fast Food.  You are kidding yourself if you think you can get off from work, run some errands, pick up your kids and have food prepared for the hungry mouths without planning.  The two favorite food prep items for a country mother is the large freezer and a crock-pot.  The phase "bulking up" doesn't refer to athletic training in the country, it is a phrase used when getting supplies at the monthly or bi-monthly trip to the "big city".  The only drive through windows in our town is the bank and the liquor bar, a fast meal for a hungry family wont be found at either spot.  So you adapt, you learn to plan and make meals fast.  The defrost setting on my microwave has been used many times when I forgot to set something out the night before.

Third, Privacy.  This is my favorite.  Newcomers feel they are being invaded and feel offended that "everyone" knows their personal business.  Trust me, everyone knew your business before you even arrived in town.  We are just curious, were not trying to be rude.  We think, maybe this new family would be the perfect fit for the fair board, Sunday school program, or Chamber of Commerce.  Don't try and hide because that just makes us talk more.  In a one horse town (actually there is probably 12 horses in town) we like news from the outside.  I am glad to know that when my children grow up, this whole community will be watching out for them and for me.  If they get into trouble, I will know long before they even make it home.

I think it is easier to see God's creations in the country.  Of course anywhere can become busy and noisy creating distractions from what is really important.

   

2 comments:

  1. Amen Sister! Our dream is to make it back to the country. Just if I could take the city boy out of his habitat. :-) My favorite place to be is home. I look forward to showing our children the ranch... and spending many summers with the neighbors up the hill.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is no privacy in a small town :) I wish that I could be more rural but that being said, I do like the convenience of having walmart and safeway a mile down the road and the kids school across town that only takes 8 mins to get to according to my daughter. :)

    ReplyDelete